About Porridge | Malta
Porridge has long been a staple food item in Scottish cuisine and has spread around the world. It makes the perfect winter breakfast food – warm, hearty, filling and infinitely customizable.
What is porridge?
Porridge is a breakfast cereal made from oatmeal that has been boiled and slowly cooked until it reaches a thick creamy consistency that is perfect eaten hot. Porridge is a great healthy option for breakfast because of it’s nutritional content, and it’s low GI – which also makes it perfect for diabetics who need to ensure their insulin doesn’t spike. Oats are Gluten Free, but most brands will have been contaminated by being close to wheat crops, so depending on your level of gluten intolerance, you may want to check specifically for brands of oats and oatmeal that are certified gluten-free (available in the health food section of most supermarkets).
Plain porridge on its own has a high fiber content, which helps keep you full as well as regulates your bowels. High fiber intake also helps maintain your blood sugar level and reduces the risk of high cholesterol. To increase fiber intake, add seeds, nuts or berries to your oatmeal.
Porridge is also a great option for anemics because of it’s high iron content. Just one cup contains 14 milligrams, which is over 100% of the daily recommended intake for me and 80% of the RDI for women.
Since porridge on its own is a great base, you can customize it depending on your personal preferences. Eat it plain with just a dash of salt (in the traditional Scottish manner) or mix in golden syrup, milk and butter for a decedent dish.
Remember though – if you are trying to avoid spiking your insulin, or are watching your sugar content, be careful with your toppings. Below you will find links to recipes, how to make the perfect porridge, as well as a ton of topping ideas.
Common porridge brands in Malta:
- Oat So Simple Quaker Oats
- Oat So Simple Heaps of Fruit Quaker Oats
- Oat So Simple Multi-Grain Quaker Oats
- Oat So Simple Big Bowl Quaker Oats
- Traditional Oats – 100% Wholegrain Rolled Oats
- Traditional Oats – 100% Wholegrain Jumbo Rolled Oats
- Breakfast on the go: Oat So Simple Pots
- Chunky Traditional Porridge
- Organic Porridge
- Quick & Creamy Porridge
- Oat & Barley Porridge (Sachets)
- Raspberry Porridge (Sachets)
- Gingerbread Porridge (Sachets)
- Honey Porridge (Sachets)
- Raspberry Porridge (Loose)
- Honey Porridge (Loose)
Special K Porridge:
- Multi-Grain Porridge Almond & Honey Sachets
- Multi-Grain Porridge Simply Original Sachets
- Multi-Grain Porridge Red Berries Sachets
- Multi-Grain Porridge Simply Original Pots
- Multi-Grain Porridge Almond & Honey Pots
- Multi-Grain Porridge Porridge Red Berries Pots
Other Brands of Porridge:
- Scott’s Porage Oats
- Scott’s So Easy
How to cook porridge
- Jaime Oliver’s ideas for porridge
- How to cook the perfect porridge – In depth ideas
- 10 Delicious oatmeal porridge recipes
- 50 topping ideas to spruce up your porridge
- Banana and cinnamon porridge recipe
Where to buy Porridge in Malta
You can buy the Quakers Oats range, as well as Jordans and Dorset at Park Towers Supermarkets in St Julian’s and St Venera, including instant quick cook pots that you can just pop into the microwave. Park Towers Supermarkets stocks a wide variety of brands of oatmeal, in many different flavors – so you’re sure to find something you like.
Park Towers Supermarkets | St Venera | San Giljan Malta
Park Towers Supermarkets | Porridge and toppings | St Venera | San Giljan Malta
About Park Towers Supermarkets, supplier of Carrefour Products
We believe that shopping should be an experience, so we take great pride in being a part of making that experience the best it can be. We make our vision your reality by supplying you with the widest choice at the best prices, as well as the friendliest staff around.